The Art of Tennis blog is for people wanting to learn more about how to play, teach or develop their tennis coaching business and club. It is run by Rick Willsmore who is Director of Tennis and Head Coach at Scarborough Tennis Academy in Perth. Rick has a unique skill set which combines a passion for coaching and developing tennis players with innovative solutions and entrepreneurial flair.
Rick’s tennis journey started at 3 years old hitting a ball against the wall. He used it to burn my high amounts of energy through his junior years competing in national junior tournaments and as a 18 year going to North Carolina on a full scholarship to play NCAA div 2 college tennis.
After starting an International Business degree back in Adelaide, he decided that formal study wasn’t for him and dropped out and moved to Darwin to become a tennis coach. This move inspired what has now become 15 years of constantly learning about coaching, tennis, psychology, marketing, leadership and many other diverse areas. Rick has also worked in sales, business development and brand and marketing.
Now he does around 20 hours per week on court as Head Coach at Scarborough Tennis whilst developing his coaching team and business.
- Finalist – Stirling Business Awards 2010
- Winner – Tennis West Club Coaching Excellence 2013
- Finalist – Newcombe Medal Club Coaching Excellence 2013
- Finalist – Tennis West Club Coaching Excellence 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019
- Winner – Tennis West Club Coaching Excellence 2020 and 2021
- Club Professional Qualified Coach- 2004 – 2017
- Talent Development Qualified Coach – 2012 – 2016
- State Super 10’s Manager – 2016